29.9.09

They Say Black is All Colors at Once

hello blogger world. my name is flips.

i thought i'd start this off by explaining the name. there's a wonderful song by a man named bill callahan (who also goes by the pseudonym smog) called 'the well' , in which he finds himself looking into the deep black abyss of this well and he sings:
They say black is all colors at once.
So I gave it my red rage, my yellow streak
The greenest parts of me
And my blues.
that is what i intend for this blog.

there is also a great japanese comic ('manga' to all you otakus) called change 123. in it colors are used to denote the different areas of martial arts: red for offense, blue for speed, yellow for defense. these and other colors also apply to martial artists who acquire considerable skill in one or more of these areas. black signifies mastery of all these areas, which i thought was pretty cool. and it's another cool spin on the concept of 'black being all colors'.

another song that uses colors that i like is 'bold as love', only in this case jimi describes people as rainbows. i am not a rainbow - i am much too dark for that.

however, like bill in 'the well,' once i get these colors out i start to feel better and focus on what's going on around me and not just in me. i think i'll write about that, too.

my story is none too extraordinary. in fact, i'm surprised more and more by how typical it is. as such, it is my aim to present myself honestly and sincerely (tho being fully aware of how dangerous that can be on the internet). if i have any readership out there, please: feel free to do the same. now, moving on...

No comments:

Post a Comment